Pilgrims

/
2 Comments
Pilgrims are a community of their own but they aren’t all the same. I thought I would put some observations together about the Pilgrims on my Camino.

Solo Pilgrims
There are two obvious types (by gender); lone, male Pilgrims are a minority group, and while they are good conversationalists they are no match for the female counterparts! Solo, male Pilgrims are usually young (and racing ahead like the Italian contingents) or older and very quiet, happy to walk their own pace (like the German man I spoke with many days back). This brings me to the conclusion that they are generally a) young and in a hurry, b) retired and have plenty of time or c) like Hans from Holland who I walked with today for about 5kms into Fromista, has had a change of pace and given himself permission (time out) to enjoy the Camino.

Then there are solo female Pilgrims (a majority group) also in three age categories; a) young students, b) retired individuals with plenty of time (some of them widows) and some are divorced and mostly have limited time but are doing the Camino in stages. Actually, speaking to the retired ladies I am convinced they are equally as busy as they were before they retired but just doing things they want to do (not that they have to do).  Then o f course there is category  c) these are the ladies who are married or divorced with or without children who have given themselves permission to have some time out to enjoy the Camino experience. Many have been dreaming and planning for a long time and are happy to enjoying their adventure (blisters and all!)

Pilgrims in pairs (couples)
These Pilgrims are quiet and I have seen many of them in hotels (but they do stay in albergues). Because they have each other for company they tend to stick together, but not necessarily do they walk side by side. Last night a couple sat behind me while I wrote my last piece and were obviously facilitated by what I was doing. It wasn’t until they were leaving that they decided to strike up a conversation with me. They were from Santiago and they had done the Camino before. It sort of made me think that we hold back with conversations with strangers, we avoid it because we are shy or don’t want to offend but most people are happy to chat, especially if you have something in common. I showed them some of my photos and we agreed the church in San Juan de Ortega was outstanding and that the Camino was a very special experience that we were fortunate to experience. Couples are shy but great peopl and I will be more mindful when I shy away from a conversation with them.

Pilgrims in packs (young people in groups of four to six or more)
Young people can talk endlessly for hours about nothing (I was one myself once and I know this to be true). They squeal with excitement, chat about what is important to them (girls tend to talk about boys and how to look good) and like to sing and take photos of themselves. Boys I can't say for sure, they don't speak so loudly that I can overhear them!

I walked in front of a group of young ladies from the US this morning and they cracked me up a number of times. While I am not comfortable about sharing everything I was privy to eavesdrop on, this one is particularly noteworthy. Someone in the albergue was passing judgement about one of the ladies porting her bag forward. Now, for what ever reason she had it’s her own business right? Who would be so forthright? Yes I was on the same page, then next thing one of the walking companions said ‘aren't we all just supposed to be allowed to do our own Camino, our own way? I don’t think Jesus would be worried if you don’t carry your pack” I was already smiling widely at some of the earlier  things they were talking about but I loved this so much I turned around told them they were so right and did the two big thumbs up. Another one of those magic moments.

At their request I took a photo for them at the top of the huge big hill coming out of Castrojeriz (the one I named after my walking companion Laurel). Then I saw them again briefly in Ermita de San Nicolas where I stopped for a much needed toilet and rest break and got a stamp. Some of them looked like they were at the beach, making great use of the Spanish sun, I sincerely hope they achieve a healthy tan. They were young, and cheeky and happy and doing the Camino at a reasonably young age. It was lovely to watch and hear them and assist them with a simple request to take a photo. I imagine it's already on Facebook!

Pilgrims on-tour (ladies, usually in groups of five to ten and usually hang out in hotels)
These ones make me laugh. They are noisy and happy and goodness knows how, but they an talk endlessly! I walked in front of some ladies from Argentina a week back and they chatted excitedly for probably 65ms out of town. The funny thing was I was just thinking to myself “glad I didn’t have that cup of tea and had hot chocolate instead, because about now, I would be wanting to go to the toilet”. Next minute, all went quiet and they stopped and some of them went into the bushes for a “toilet stop”! How hilarious, and what a strange coincidence. It is nice to hear the voices of chatter (it’s nice to hear the quiet too) but sometimes when you are walking along for a few kilometres when you come upon a group of chatter-boxes it’s nice to hear them for a while.

There are of course other categories of Pilgrims (those on bikes and those riding donkeys). So far, I have not been fortunate to strike up a conversation or build by knowledge around them to provide a report. I will endeavour to update this post if/when this occurs.

Update Tuesday 2nd June, new category "Baby Pilgrim". I met the parents by chance (without the baby) in Fromista in one of the churches there. There was a special museum (only 1 Euro) and they were getting three passports stamped and I figured it was for a baby that wasn't with them. I was lucky to stumble across them today on a shady section of the ancient Roman road. A couple a baby and a travelling companion and I stopped to say hello. It was a delight to see the happy youngster and while it wouldn't be easy they all looked happy. I took this little gem with me for quite a few kilometres down the road!


Until next time - They Happy Pilgrim















You may also like

2 comments :

  1. All very interesting but you forgot to mention the Lost Pilgrim, you know, like the Red Headed ones, there the ones who turn right instead of left, take plenty of photos without other pilgrims in the shots (because there are no pilgrims) they are also looking for people to have a chat to instead of keeping an eye on what path to take, they roam around in their own world and just forget where there going - Ha ha ha..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Stace, you are certainly maintaining a cracking pace. I wonder what the motivation for the various pilgrams are, is it different for Spanish and Europeans to the rest of the world? It would also be interesting to talk to some of the locals about the changes they have seen in the pilgrams over the years. All very interesting! And some great photo's there, love the ones of the open fields with the road disappearing in the distance. Neil

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, leave your comments here

Powered by Blogger.